by Jannine Frend
Summer is finally here, so most of us girls start feeling the excitement of wearing our flowy dresses, pretty sandals, cut off denim shorts and, last but not least, our bikinis!
So here goes a list of beauty tips for you to amp up your summery spirit:
First of all, a mani/pedi is in order. Pamper yourself and welcome the summer with happy hands and feet! Pull out your bold nail polishes or go to the drugstore and get some new ones. Pastel tones are all over the place lately, so lilac, mint, creamsicle, baby blue and creamy pink colors will look great. Also try bolder colors like tangerine, hot pink and the always trendy: true red.
Considering you'll be wearing less fabric around your body, make sure you take good care of your skin and keep sunscreen handy at all times, especially on your face! Facial sunscreens are wonderful. Their formula is less greasy than the rest so don't worry. You won't shine like a disco ball.
Sun exposure will also dry your skin, so make sure you exfoliate and hydrate every other day.
When it comes to make up, lots of you might just go au-nauturel. But if you're a bit of a make up freak like myself and can't go about without anything on, then I'd suggest the following routine:
- ALWAYS put facial sunscreen after your daily moisturizer. (Or maybe use a daily moisturizer with built in SPF.)
- Switch your heavy foundation for a tinted moisturizer or a BB Cream. Both of these products have SPF in them already most of the times. (YAY!) Apply it with your hands instead of using a brush for a lighter layer of product.
- If you'd rather avoid the previous step, then right after the sunscreen apply concealer to cover up dark circles and blemishes. Use your ring finger to gently pat the product and make sure you blend it well.
-For a sunkissed glow, go for peachy and coral-colored blushes. Try to go for mineralize formulas or satin finishes (instead of matte) for a more dewy and fresh effect. Apply them lightly with a fluffy brush on the apples of your cheeks.
- To enhance your tan or to fake it, you should befriend at least one bronzer and add it to your collection. Dust them on your face in the shape of a number 3. Start at your temples, go down to your cheek and finish under your jaw for a perfect glowy contour.
- Highlighters are also a friendly product for this time of the year. They will help you glow a little more. Apply them very lightly for a natural effect. Mac's Soft and Gentle is my all time favorite.
- For the eyes, I'd keep it very simple. A little bit of waterproof eyeliner on your lower or top lashline and waterproof mascara. Otherwise, it could smudge with the heat or contact with water, and you'd end up with raccoon eyes!
- For the lips, you can do whatever you want. If you usually wear your hair untied, then I'd suggest staying away from lip gloss because your hair will get glued to it. But other than that, always keep a lip balm in your bag for moisturizing purposes and a bold lip color to make those happy lips stand out!
1- Face Protect SPF 50, from the prep + prime line, MAC (I love this product, but the packaging is the worst!)
2- Mineralize Skinfinish in "Soft and Gentle", MAC
3- Bronzer and blush duo in "Orgasm & Laguna", NARS
4- Shimmer strips custom bronzer, blush and eye shadow in "Waikiki Strip", Physicians Formula
5- Nail Polish in #946 "Hey Sailor", China Glaze
6- Matte blush in #108, Kiko Cosmetics
7- Lip butter in #25 "Peach Parfait", Revlon
8- Cremesheen lipstick in "Speak Louder", MAC
9- Amplified lipstick in "Vegas Volt", MAC
10- Nail polishes in #359 (creamsicle) and #338 (lilac), Kiko Cosmetics
11- Nail polish in "Teeny Bikini", Sephora
12- gentle waterproof mascara, Clinique
13- Age defense SPF 30 BB cream, Clinique